Kali Linux is basically a Debian-based operating system that comes with 600 various tools that are used for penetration testing. As a platform for testing security, installing Kali on VirtualBox is a good idea. But if you are thinking of using Kali Linux as a daily desktop, you may probably format all the partitions unconsciously. That is why using it as a desktop is not a good idea!
Virtual Box is free software that lets you run Virtual Machines, and these VMs, in turn, permit the functioning of various operating systems and programs in your Mac or Windows. Do you know that VMs are also beneficial in experimenting with varied types of malware?
In this guide, we will be briefing you on the steps that will tell you how to install Kali Linux on Virtualbox.
How To Install Kali Linux On Virtualbox?
The first step involves downloading the Kali Linux ISO Image. Go to the Download Page of Kali Linux and have a look at the downloadable packages available there. Choose the 32-bit or 64-bit version for downloading depending upon the system you have.
Once the .iso image has been downloaded, you have to import Kali as the OS in the Virtualbox. Open the VirtualBox Manager. Choose the New icon.
Ascertain the name and destination folder in the window that will emerge to create a new VM. Based on the name that you will enter, the details in the Type and version field will get changed on their own. Just ensure if the provided information is the same as the downloaded package. Now, click Next.
The default memory size set for Linux is 1024 MB. But you can choose the memory size as per your own needs and after you have selected it, click on Next.
Create a hard disk for the VM. Choose Create button to continue the installation process. You will also have the option of either not adding any virtual hard disk or using an existing virtual hard disk file.
Next, you will have to choose the type of hard disk file. It is better to keep the default file type of VDI only and not change it. Then, click Next.
Determine the name and location for storing the virtual hard disk. Select the amount of data that the VM is permitted to keep on the hard disk securely. The minimum recommended size is 8 GB. Finally, click on Create button to finish the procedure.
The new VM will now be successfully created, and you will be able to see it on the list in the VirtualBox Manager.
This step is all about adjusting the settings of the VM.
Select the VM and go to the Settings Icon. Try not to make mistakes in selecting the VM. Ensure that the right-hand side of the window is showcasing the proper details for Kali Linux.
In the Settings window of Kali Linux, browse General>Advanced Tab. The settings of Shared Clipboard and Drag’n’Drop have to be changed to Bidirectional. By doing this, you will be able to easily copy and paste info between the host and guest machine.
Go to the System Tab and then select Motherboard. Change the settings in Boot Order by choosing the starting from Optical and then the Hard Disk. Uncheck the box of Floppy as it won’t be necessary.
Head to the Processor Tab present in that same window. Change the number of processors to two so that the performance is enhanced. Now, click on the Start icon to start the installation procedure of Kali.
This step concerns the installation and final set-up of Kali Linux.
After clicking on the Start Button, a new VirtualBox window will appear, showing the welcome screen.
The installation procedure will be like this.
- You will have to choose a language.
- Now, you will be asked to choose the name of your country from the list.
- Configure the keyboard by selecting American English.
- Set the network by providing a hostname to the system.
- You will now have to create a domain name that generally ends in .net, .com, etc. Check if you are using the same domain name on all the machines that you own.
- Create a very strong and robust password for the system admin account.
- Set the time zone from the list of available options.
- Next, you have to choose the method by which you would want to partition the disk. Then, you will be made to select the disk to be used for partitioning.
- Select the scheme for partitioning to All files in one partition (this is the preferable option)
- Move to Finish partitioning and write changes to disk. Click on the Continue button and choose
- After you have completed the steps of configuring the package manager and installing the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk, you will receive the message that the installation procedure has been completed.
- Reboot the VM. The Kali Linux has been installed on VirtualBox, and the login screen will appear. Enter your username and password.
Ultimately, you will be able to see the Kali Linux interface running on your device.
If you are wondering how to install kali Linux on VirtualBox Windows 10, Mac, or Oracle, stay assured that the process is not that complex. If you can correctly follow the steps that tell how to install kali Linux on VirtualBox, installing the VM won’t be a thing for you.
Now you can use the VM peacefully to perform a wide range of functions on your Pc!
So, pay minute attention to every detail of the settings while installing the Kali Linux VirtualBox, and you will be good to go.
Wish you luck in coming out successful in this installation venture!