Screenshots or Screen snips have become an inseparable part of our lives in this world that is incredibly driven by technology. Be it for taking a snap of some significant slide being presented in an online class or for crucial information being displayed in office or business meetings, taking a screenshot of these lets you have a copy of this vital piece.
While all of us are pretty much acquainted with the process of taking a screenshot from our smartphones, many of us are really not acquainted with how to take screenshots on a laptop but hey, don’t worry because we’ve got you covered.
Ranging from taking a favorite picture of yours on the laptop to keeping evidence of the online transaction you have made with someone, the usefulness of screenshots is immense. So, without further delay, let’s start with the screenshot-taking methodology.
How to Take Screenshot on PC?
Taking a screenshot on a PC is the easiest thing that you’ll ever do. With the right tips and correct knowledge of the shortcut keys, you can easily take a screenshot and keep a JPG, PNG, or PDF form.
- For Windows OS
1. Using PrtScn Button: On a PC with Windows OS, pressing the PrtScn Button present at the top region on the right side of your keyboard results in taking a screenshot of the whole screen. The image gets clicked and is stored in the clipboard.
To access it, you have to take a little pain of opening any image editing software, be it MS Word or Paint, so that you can access and save it. Then, just press Ctrl+V to paste the screenshot/image in the Word or Paint window. You may also choose to right-click the mouse and select the option of ‘Paste.’
2. Using the Snipping Tool: This is another excellent way to take screenshots in a jiffy. It is a free tool that comes with all the versions of Windows OS. Knowing this technique is essential as some laptops lack the PrtScn key.
After clicking on the Snipping Tool, click ‘New’ and then draw on the screen to choose the screen area you wish to take a screenshot of. This tool also has several features of highlighter and pen tools. You can use these to edit your screenshot.
- For Mac OS
- Using Keyboard: If your PC has Mac OS, press the Command (cmd) key, Shift, and three keys simultaneously to take the screenshot of the entire screen. The process will be the same while taking a screenshot of a selected area of the screen with the sole difference that you have to just press four keys this time instead of 3, that is, cmd+shift+4 keys is the formula.
- Using the Grab Tool: Availing the Grab tool is another simple way of taking a screenshot. After clicking on the grab tool, follow this method systematically: Grab Tool>Capture>Screen.
There are also varied options available for screenshot capturing- Selection, Window, or Timed Screen. Based on your needs, you can go for any of the options you wish to and keep a copy of the important thing as an image with you.
How to Take Screenshot in Windows 10?
Now, we will be listing the techniques of taking screenshots in Windows 10. There is a myriad of ways of doing so. Let’s see what these are!
- Alt+PrtScn: Pressing these keys from the keyboard will result in copying the active window to the clipboard. Then you just have to paste it or press Ctrl+V in any of the photo editing software to save and edit it.
- Windows Key+PrtScn: Once you press these keys together, the entire screen gets automatically saved as an image in the subfolder of ‘Screenshots’ under the main section of ‘Pictures.’ This is the best way to take a screenshot as you don’t have to do that extra step of pasting in Word or paint and then save it. This process does everything for you just by one press.
- Snipping Tool: This is a built-in tool in Windows 10. Click the Start menu and select ‘Mode’ to choose the shape of the screenshot you want to come- full screen, free form, window, or regular snip.
Once you click ‘New,’ the screen will freeze to let you create the screenshot shape. The screenshot will now be kept in the Snipping Tool Window, and on clicking it, you may edit it, put labels or annotate using the drawing tool.
After the editing is done, click on File>Save As. And, you’ll be done!
How to Take Screenshot in Laptop Windows 7?
If you have a laptop with Windows 7 version, the snipping tool is the ideal option for taking the screenshot. You can access it by clicking ‘Start,’ then select ‘All Programs’>Snipping Tool.
Now, click on the arrow present just next to ‘New’ and then select any one of the four available options. These include free form, rectangle, window, and full screen.
Once the screenshot has been captured by the tool, you can edit it using a highlighter, pen, and eraser tools. After the editing has been done, you can save it and easily share it with others.
How to Take Screenshot in HP Laptop?
The screenshot-taking procedure is almost the same in any HP Laptop, just as the process mentioned above in the case of Windows OS. To have better clarity, let’s just have a look at the steps.
- Pressing PrtScn or Prt Sc results in the capturing of the entire screen of the desktop. But this is not the end. This screenshot just stays copied in the clipboard. Now, you have to open any image editing program, either MS Word or Paint. In a blank screen, press ‘Ctrl+V’ to paste the image and then save the image after editing it.
You can either save the file as JPG or PNG and then share it anywhere you like.
- This second method has to be carried out by means of the Snipping Tool. This excellent feature is available in Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, and 10. You can avail this tool from the start menu.
After opening this program, click ‘New’ to create a new snip. A crosshair cursor will appear, the dragging of which will let you draw a rectangle on the intended area of the screen that you wish to keep a screenshot of.
Once done, go to the snipping tool toolbar and press the disk icon to save the snip in JPEG or PNG format.
Hope the steps have given you a clear idea as to how to take screenshot in laptop. There is no arena where screenshots don’t play a key role. Nowadays, screenshots are also considered as the means of proof and sometimes play the role of online tickets when you go for a movie or travel to someplace by rail or airway.
In short, the role of screenshots is all-encompassing. It helps you keep a copy of important information. So take screenshots on your laptop like a pro and efficiently carry out your vital activities. All the Best!